« A painting to the wind »
In 2016, Athina Ioannou exhibited the work Our Church in Grimbergen abbey in Belgium and realized an flag entitled In the Wind for the stage tower of Cultuurcentrum Strombeek.
The current project focuses on a selection of 9 museums, cultural institutions and galleries where Athina Ioannou was previously invited to work. They received a small triangular flag referring to the earlier artwork In the Wind, recreated and fragmented by the artist. The flags were then installed by those international exhibition spaces at the location of their choice, in order to symbolically represent the artist’s connection to the site.
The result is a constellation of coloured flags, spread across two continents and materializing Athina Ioannou’s artistic itinerary, her connections and encounters.
With the participation of :
– Cultuurcentrum Strombeek (BE)
– Cultuurcentrum Mechelen (BE)
– Irène Laub Gallery, Brussels (BE)
– Cité internationale des arts, Paris (FR)
– Musée Régional d’Art Contemporain Occitanie / Pyrénées-Méditerranée, Sérignan (FR)
– Lieu d’Art Contemporain, Sigean (FR)
– Benaki Museum of Islamic Art, Athens (GR)
– Macedonian Museum of contemporary Art, Thessaloniki (GR)
– Galeria Hilario Galguera, Mexico City (MX)
Read more about Athina Ioannou.